Sunday, December 18, 2011

Disappointed...

I am feeling disappointment to the point that I feel the need to blog about it. I am so thankful that our troops are leaving Iraq, yet I am so saddened by our country's lack of support. I realize the end of this war and their return in no way compares to the persecution - yes I did use the correct word there -- that our poor men who fought in Vietnam faced. I am just disappointed that we don't have the same support for our military that we had after 9/11 nor the same pride in who we are as a nation. I feel like the lives of over 4,500 Americans are not being recognized as heroic, as they were lost in this war. War is never pretty, but if you are thankful to be able to go to the church of your choice or to not go to church at all, then you have the obligation to be supportive of the men and women who give you that freedom.

Let me make this personal for a second. First and foremost my husband fought in this war for 9 long months. I wouldn't hear from hear for days and sometimes weeks at a time while he was deployed. He had to go "outside the wire" several times while he was there, and when he was one the phone with me during the New Year in Iraq, all I could hear was gunshots and someone over a loud speaker yelling for them to take cover as our call was disconnected. I didn't hear from him until 2 days later. Thank God he came home with no physical injuries. My cousin is still in rehab for his injuries, including the loss of both of his legs, he sustained almost a year ago. My brother-in-law deployed more than once and lost one of his very best friends in this war. My dad did the funeral for a 24 year old father who died in this war. A good friend's bother had his feet amputated, among other injuries. This war changed people's lives in huge ways. More than likely, you know someone who's life has been forever changed by this war. Even the men and women who come home safe physically will bear the mental and emotional scars of this war for their entire lives.

I am so thankful for our military, the everyday sacrifices they make, as well as the life altering ones. So if you see a member of our military, shake their hand, thank them out loud (more than likely they have deployed to fight this forgotten war), buy them a drink or a meal, just let them know you appreciate them. Most importantly, pray for our men and women who are still in Afghanistan. CNN, MSNBC, and Fox news may have forgotten them but their spouses, children, and families certainly have not.

PS this is not a plug for Terry to get free food :) :) :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment