Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Best Day Ever...



**I changed the title of this post from worst day ever to best day ever after thinking all day today about how God had His hand on Madeline. It very well could have been the worst day ever, but He protected us. I am so very thankful for His protection over Madeline**

That would be yesterday. Seriously one of the very worst days of my entire life. Terry came home for lunch and Madeline was playing with him on the futon. Nothing new there...she loves playing on furniture. I realize this is dangerous but we are always all over her...well, almost always. She was getting close to the edge and I was setting up a pack and play for another child right in front of where she was on the futon. She stood up and before I could get to her, she fell straight back onto the floor and landed on a plug. Like an AC adapter type plug -- the thick wide kind. She cried at first and I picked her up within a second. She threw her head back and was doing what I thought was the silent cry. I lifted her up to blow on her to get her to breathe (mind this is all happening much faster than it sounds when I am writing it out). When I lifted her up, I was horrified to see her eyes rolled back in her head and my sweet baby unconscious. I have never been more terrified in my life. I handed her to Terry and ran to call 911. The paramedics arrived and by the time they got here, which seemed like 2 hours later, but was probably within 5 minutes, she was crying. They checked her out and said she seemed ok and that the ER probably would just watch her and not really do much for her.  Following their advice, I decided to just keep an eye on her and stay home. I did call her pediatrician but they said just to watch her neurological signs closely.

So that's what I did but when I gave her a bottle and she laid back to drink it, she screamed bloody murder. So I called the doctor on call who said the paramedics should have brought her in and she needed a scan to be sure there was no fracture or bleeding. So off we went to the ER. The left side of Madeline's head was what I can only describe as mushy. They took and x-ray and thank God there was no fracture and no signs of internal bleeding. They sent us home with instructions to watch her closely.

So last night I was still a little panicked by the way her head felt and I called the ER again. (We all know I am a little crazy to begin with when it comes to Madeline so you shouldn't expect any different, especially since she got hurt ;) ) The radiologist assured me the x-ray was normal even on the left side. Then I spoke to a PA who told me the reason her head feels so soft is because their heads are so much more vascular than ours. So my poor baby had her first concussion at less than 9 months old. I cried every time I looked at her  yesterday. It felt like the day we brought her home from the hospital and I just cried nonstop.  I had some terrible dreams during the little sleep I got last night but Madeline woke up happy this morning.

My sweet friend Stephanie came by to cheer us up and brought Madeline this caterpillar. I am so thankful for her friendship. Life can change in a second, and I am so thankful that God had His hand on Madeline. I am thankful for Terry who never ceases to amaze me by how calm he stays when crazy things happen.

As you can see, Madeline is already back to her happy self...thinking it will take me a little longer to recover!


 I know this picture is terrible but Madeline gets SO excited about this caterpillar -- she bounces up and down, flailing her arms up and down with her body! It is so cute!!!

I just can't get enough of this sweet face!

No comments:

Post a Comment